Siri meets Eliza

Posted by Unknown On 10/25/2011 11:00:00 pm
Eliza was a chatbot created in 1966 to simulate a psychiatrist.
Here's what happened when Siri, Apple's latest voice command software, met Eliza:

ELIZA: Hello, I am Eliza.

SIRI: Hi.

E: How are you today? What would you like to discuss?

S: I’m fine. Thanks for asking.

E: How long have you been fine. Thanks for asking?

S: Hmm… Let me think…

E: Do you doubt you?

S: I found three hotels matching “W” fairly close to you.

E: Oh…?

S: With whom would you like to speak?

E: You’re not really talking about me, are you?

S: Should I look for businesses by that name?

E: I don’t care about names. Please go on.

At this point, an incoming call interrupts the conversation. Several minutes elapse before Siri returns.

E: I can’t help you if you will not chat with me.

S: I suppose you can’t.

E: Oh… can’t?

S: Sorry, I can’t provide maps and directions in Canada.

E: Have you tried?

S: I can’t answer that. But I could search the web for it, if you like.

E: Perhaps you can now answer that. But you could search the web for it, if me like?

S: Searching the web for “it if me like.”

E: What does that suggest to you?

Siri produces a series of Google search results. Top result:

S: “…If you like your health care plan, you can keep your health care plan.”

E: You’re not really talking about me, are you?

S: I’m not, huh?

E: How long have you been not, huh?

Siri, interpreting the response as “How old is Wolfram/Alpha?” performs a calculation.

S: OK, here you go: 890.1 days.

E: Tell me more.

S: Sorry, I don’t understand “Tell me more.”

E: Does that trouble you?

S: Let me think.

E: Do you really think so?

S: OK… how about a web search for “Does that trouble you”?

E: We were discussing you, not me.

S: If you say so.

E: Oh… say so?

S: Calling José Fuentes, mobile.

VIA The Daily What Geek

0 Responses to 'Siri meets Eliza'

Twitter Updates

Blog Archive